Christmas and New Year 2018 in Florence
December, Christmas and New Year are a magical period full of events to experience and live Florence!
Florence becomes even more fascinating thanks to the Christmas lights in the streets of the historic center, to the large Christmas tree in Piazza del Duomo, to the many markets in some of the most beautiful squares of the city.
Residence Hilda would like to inform you about some of the main events of this Christmas and New Year 2018 in Florence:
- the traditional Christmas Markets (Weihnachtsmarkt) of Piazza Santa Croce from November 28 to December 20, with the reproduction of the House of Santa Claus dedicated to children.
- the ancient Fierucola dell'Immacolata that takes place in the nearby Piazza Santissima Annunziata and the lighting of the big Christmas Tree in Piazza del Duomo on December 8.
- the Fierucolina di Natale in Piazza Santo Spirito on December 17.
- On New Year's Eve in the main squares there are the traditional "concertoni" with toast. Classical music in Piazza della Signoria, gospel music in Piazza Santissima Annunziata, pop music in Piazzale Michelangelo.
- The Cavalcata dei Magi on Epiphany's day, Sunday January 6, 2019, a beautiful ride and parade in historical costume across the city center.
Needless to say that, for those who want to indulge in a few days of Christmas shopping, or wait for the after Christmas sales, the shops and boutiques of central Florence are the best you could wish for!
For art lovers there are 2 major contemporary art exhibitions always open during this period, Marina Abramovic at Palazzo Strozzi until January 6, 2019, Banksi at Palazzo Medici Riccardi until February 24, 2019.
Finally we remember with pleasure that the main museums of Florence, such as the Uffizi and Palazzo Pitti, allow entry at low season prices, with discounts throughout the Christmas period too.
Residence Hilda recommends everyone to experience Christmas and New Year period in Florence!